Monday, March 13, 2017

I understood two words out of that one sentence

the words are: final stage :)

the sentence is:
Diatoms are diplonts with meiosis in the final stage of gametogenesis.
yeeeeeeah

biology was never my favourite subject

:)

you know I read a lot

but why the hell am I reading "Reproductive biology of plants" I have absolutely no idea :)

just because I can, I guess

so

dear friends, who probably understood the same two words as I did

let's find out what that evil sentence is all about
Diatoms are a major group of algae, and are among the most common types of phytoplankton
see, it is already getting better

we all know what phytoplankton is and now I know that diatoms are pretty much just super tiny algae

here is the pic


looking like a boat waffle :)

going on
Diplont - an animal or plant that has the diploid number of chromosomes in its somatic cells
aaaand for those of you, who forgot: Diploid - Of a cell, having a pair of each type of chromosome, one of the pair being derived from the ovum and the other from the spermatozoon. Most somatic cells of higher organisms are diploid.

so far we have super tiny algae with regular pairs of chromosomes
Meiosis - is a specialized type of cell division that reduces the chromosome number by half, creating four haploid cells, each genetically distinct from the parent cell that gave rise to them
that meaning, that we now have only the half of the chromosomes
Gametogenesis is the development of diploid germ cells into haploid eggs or sperm
the whole pretty much means that our super tiny algae's reproduction is binary fission (they are just dividing for reproduction)

feeling getting smarter?

I do:)

I really need to update my biology knowledge, apparently I forgot almost everything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment